If you’re new to self-tanning, you’ve come to the right place. Self-tanning for the first time can be a daunting experience, but you’re not alone.
We’ve got you covered with the ultimate beginner’s guide to self-tanning, and below we give you a step by step guide and few simple tips to achieve that bronzed, natural-looking tan.
Step 1: Prep your body
The secret to an even tan is to get rid of any dry or flaky skin before applying the tan, so always remember to exfoliate. This is the first step to prepping your skin, so make sure you focus on rough spots like the knees, elbows, ankles, heels and don’t forget your face too.
Now is also the time to shave, but be gentle. Freshly exfoliated skin is more sensitive, so be gentle with your razor to avoid any redness. If you want to go the extra step, before you get out of the shower, change the temperature of the water too cold. This will close your pores and prevent those dark spots when you tan.
Tanning tip: It is recommended that you exfoliate and shave the day before you self tan to avoid the product seeping into your pores. However, if you’re pushed for time, try to wait at least an hour before applying the tan. Clear, clean skin is all you need.
Step 2: Smooth it out
The next step to ensuring you get an even base for your self tan is to moisturise. If you’re exfoliating the day before you tan, apply a layer of moisturiser all over your body after showering to stop any dryness.
If you’ve left it a little late and you’re exfoliating the same day as you tan, only apply moisturiser to certain places. Your hands, feet, elbows and knees to be exact. This helps to prevent your self tan from clinging to these areas for a flawless finish.
Tanning tip: To really nail the natural-looking tan, apply a light layer of moisturiser to your wrists, so your golden glow blends in seamlessly with no harsh lines.
Step 3: The big day
Before you start tanning, make sure you have all the bits and pieces needed, so you’re ready to go. The best and easiest way to self tan is with a mitt. The Luna Bronze is the perfect applicator as it keeps your hands protected, preventing self-tanning product colouring the palms, provides extra control and helps achieve a streak-free application.
Our recommendations for beginners would be the as this will slowly build until you reach your desired tan colour or the as the colour guide technology will enable you to see where the product has been applied and allow you to fix any patches straight away.
Tanning tip: Self-tanning your face can be especially daunting. The is a great product for beginners as it provides a subtle, bronzed effect that builds after 1-3 applications.
Step 4: Relax
After you apply your tan, all you do now is to sit and relax. Let the tan completely dry before putting on loose, dark clothing to prevent your tan staining any materials. The tan will develop over 6-8 hours.
You can apply the tan in the morning to develop during the day, or apply before bed, so you wake up feeling like a bronze goddess.
Tanning tip: If you’re pressed for time, you can use a hairdryer on a cooler setting to dry quicker. Try to avoid any activities that will make you sweat as this can streak the tan.
Step 5: The reveal
After 6-8 hours, jump in the shower and lightly rinse in lukewarm water, then gently pat yourself dry. Don’t be shocked if you see your shower floor turning brown, this is not your tan coming off, just the colour guide. Your tan will continue to develop over the next 24 hours.
Step 6: Keeping your bronzed glow
Now that you’ve reached your ideal tan colour, there are a few things you can do to keep your skin staying nice and brown for longer such as applying a gradual tanner like the to give your tan a top up.
Other tanning tips to keep in mind
- Take your time — Don’t rush through the process if you want the tan to come out even and streak free.
- Tanning should be the last thing on your beauty routine — Make sure you wax, shave and exfoliate before you apply your self tan.
- Start at the bottom and work your way up — Using a tanning mitt, smooth a small amount of self-tanner in circular motions onto your legs. Start at your ankles and work your way up to prevent marks when you bend over. Save your hands and arms for last.
- Go easy above the neck — Use only a small amount of product and blend the self-tanner outward using your fingertips. Wash your hands immediately after application.
- Give the formula time to dry — Avoid sweating and showering for at least 6-8 hours after applying the self tan to avoid streaks.
- Mistakes happen — Especially as a beginner, you will surely end up with a few mistakes, but it happens! If you end up with streaks and splotches, rub half a lemon on the area for two minutes before lightly buffing it with a damp towel.